Short haired golden retrievers are popular among dog lovers. Most people are familiar with the golden retriever breed. It is one of the most famous dog breeds worldwide. Now many people wonder if there is such a breed as short haired golden retrievers. Well, there is no such breed as short haired golden retrievers.
Some golden retrievers have shorter hair than others, but that does not make them a separate breed. This article will help you better understand everything you need to know about the golden retriever breed and what short haired golden retrievers are.
Golden retrievers can be seen in all shades of golden color, starting from cream color to dark golden. Their size can be 20-22 inches and 65-75 pounds in weight. They are very loveable, playful, eager to please, and intelligent.
The fact about all retrievers’ breeds, whether they are short haired golden retrievers or not, is that they are all intelligent. Golden retrievers are very versatile, and they are not stubborn, like other hunting breeds. This feature makes them highly affectionate and trainable companions. These qualities make them an excellent choice for family pets, service dogs for the disabled, and search and rescue dogs.
Are Short Haired Golden Retrievers a separate breed?
The short haired golden retriever has caught the attention of many people. But the truth is that there’s no distinct breed like the short haired golden retriever. However, there are some possibilities of you finding a golden retriever with short hair due to genetics, crossbreeding, or misidentification.
Let me elaborate two of the common reasons of coming across a short haired golden retriever.
Field Golden Retrievers
Field golden retrievers are somehow short haired golden retrievers. Field golden retrievers usually have shorter coats. They are bred for hunting and working in the fields for most time of the day. So, they need a great amount of time in open areas especially, fields.
Due to their shorter coat, they are easy to give baths, and dirt can be removed easily from their hair. If you want a field retriever as a pet, you need to provide them with more outdoor time.
You will have to find a breeder who’s breeding golden retrievers with short coats. Some people crossbreed the retriever to achieve the short-haired breed. Labradors are commonly bred with Golden retrievers due to their appearance similarities. Other breeds like Chesapeake Bay retriever and Flat-coated retriever are often crossbred to achieve shorter hair coats.
History of Golden Retrievers
Golden retrievers were bred by British and Scottish lords who wanted to use them for hunting. All retrievers were originally bred to retrieve prey, most often birds, and return it to the hunter without damage. All the golden retrievers have gentle mouths because they were often retrieving birds such as ducks.
They are the crossbreed of tweed water spaniels and yellow flat-coated retrievers. You can still find yellow flat-coated retrievers, but the water spaniels have gone extinct. They were not recognized as a breed before 1925. The American kennel club recognized this breed in 1925 in the United States.
Later on, in 1938, the golden retriever club of America was founded. Golden retrievers became especially popular in the United States in the 1970s because of President Gerald Ford’s dog Liberty.
Golden retrievers are now among the most popular dog breeds all over the world.
Types of Golden Retrievers
Golden retrievers have 3 different types, and here we will explain some features so you can distinguish between them. Even though they have different appearances but all of them have similar personality traits. You can expect all of them to be loving, calm, and energetic.
American Golden Retrievers
The unique feature that is seen in American golden retrievers is their coat. The color of their coat is slightly darker than that of others. Apart from that, their coat is denser, longer, and has more waves. They also have more feathering under the chest and neck regions. Their coat is also known to be more water repellent. They have light-colored eyes with almond shapes.
British Golden Retrievers
British golden retrievers are lighter in color. They are sometimes seen in cream color. They are actually muscular and heavier than the other types, but they are a little shorter in height. They have cute large round eyes.
Canadian Golden Retrievers
Canadian golden retrievers’ coat is comparatively darker, shorter, and thinner. They have a lighter feathering around their chest and neck regions. Their color varies from dark to light golden.
If you want a comparatively short haired golden retriever, you should get a Canadian golden retriever. They have tapered eyes and broadheads. Canadian golden retrievers are bigger in size than other types.
How to keep Short Haired Golden Retrievers healthy?
A healthy diet and adequate exercise are keys to the long healthy life of your dog. You should take your dog for a regular walk in the park. They are the best swimmers. They love to play fetch games in a swimming pool or lake. They are best friends not only with humans but also with other dogs or cats. They are all working-class, which means they require daily exercise to remain healthy and happy. Since Golden retrievers have a lot of energy, so it would be fun to play and exercise with them.
Diet of Short Haired Golden Retriever
Your short haired golden retriever’s diet depends on his size, age, metabolism, and activity level. You need to feed them on time as golden retrievers are energetic and big in size. It would be best to feed them two to three cups of dry food, twice or thrice a day. You must feed them nutritious food to keep them healthy. You should see your vet to make a chart about their diet plan. To know more about dog food, you should check out the detailed article about it on our Diet and Nutrition page of our website.
Physical Characteristics of Short Haired Golden Retriever
How tall are short haired golden retrievers?
The average Golden Retriever has an overall height of 28.5-31.5 inches OR 72-80 centimeters and a body length of 37-42 inches OR 94-107 centimeters.
How much do short haired golden retrievers weigh?
Male golden retrievers weigh 65-75 pounds, depending upon their health. Female Golden retrievers weigh 55-65 pounds. Golden retrievers’ average life span is 10-12 years.
Grooming of Short Haired Golden Retrievers
Grooming requirements of a short haired retriever are no different from any other dog having a similar coat. But to make sure you find all the information in this article, we are going to share some tips that will help you take better care of your dog’s coat.
How to take care of Short Haired Golden Retrievers’ Coat?
One of the best things about golden retrievers is their shiny golden coat. Golden retrievers have long, silky signature hair on their body. Below are some tips on taking care of the hair coat of golden retrievers.
- You should not shave the upper coat of your dog to achieve short haired golden retriever. You should not cut their upper layer of fur. Their double fur has huge importance in regulating their body temperature in summers as well as winters.
- You can take your golden retriever to a groomer for hair trimming but never shave all his hair off.
- Sometimes the non-fluffy Golden retriever may be suffering from health issues that directly impact his coat health.
- You will need to take care of their diet as almost 80% of their coat is made up of protein.
- Golden retrievers shed their hair naturally. Brushing the coat regularly will get rid of extra hair.
- Brushing will also remove dead cells and debris from the coat. It stimulates body oils and spreads them evenly.
- Use a good shampoo for your Goldie friend and bathe them regularly.
- Routine bathing, grooming, and proper nutrition will keep your Goldie’s hair shiny, smooth, and healthy irrespective of the fact that you own a short-haired golden retriever or not.
10 Interesting Facts About Golden Retrievers
- They are considered 4th smartest dogs on the smart dogs’ list.
- Golden retrievers have a much higher tolerance to pain compared to other breeds. That’s why they are used as hunting helpers and rescue dogs.
- They were not recognized as a breed till 1925.
- They are the best water-based dogs as they have webbing between their toes and steer long tails to help them swim better.
- They have a double coat fur. The inner coat keeps them warm while the outer layer is waterproof.
- Golden retrievers are the best therapy dogs; they are widely used in hospitals and clinics to bring joy to patients.
- You cannot rely on them for security because of their too friendly nature.
- Golden retrievers are great actors. They have a high sense of pleasing their owners so training them makes it easy. That’s why they are commonly used in TV shows and movies as well.
- Golden retriever fur color grows darker as they get older.
- If you leave your golden retriever alone for a long time, they get depressed.
Short haired golden retrievers are popular but uncommon. The coat length is determined by genetics only, and no such breed as short haired golden retrievers exists. However, you can find golden retrievers having short hair. we have studied in this article some possibilities by which golden retrievers may have short hair. No matter what golden retriever type you have, American, Canadian, or short-haired golden retriever, all of them are versatile.
To conclude, if you are going to get a golden retriever, you should not only focus on getting the short-haired one but also look for a healthy dog. Never buy a puppy from an irresponsible breeder, puppy mill, or pet store. Because the puppy may contain some genetic disorder or some allergies, or they may have a bad temperament. Nonetheless, short haired golden retrievers are the best companions one should definitely get.